What Services Do We Need?
What services do we currently have?
- We have one physician working 4 days per week and 1 physician working 2 mornings per week
- We have 24 hour ambulance services and 24 on call water taxi service
- Financially restricted access to community health services
- Seniors once weekly morning group
- Caring Circle Health Resource Centre providing information and access to health services
- Physiotherapist (private practice)
- Other wellness practitioners
What are the gaps in services?
- There are days during the week when no physician is on island
- Minimal or variable weekend or after hours medical support
- No VCH health support programs (stroke, heart and other rehabilitation services)
- No medical clinic
- No ferry access from 10 p.m. – 5:30 a.m.
- Limited bus service, minimal considerations for handicap ferry access
What can we do to improve health services on Bowen?
- improve primary care physician coverage
- explore physician recruitment
- encourage improved transportation initiatives i.e. our driver program
- advocate with Vancouver Coastal Health for improved services on Bowen
- support the Caring Circle Resource Centre and it’s co-ordinator position which provide health leadership and advocacy
- advocate with BC Ferries and Bowen Island Municipality to improve handicap access